on those days that I remember the advice that my mother often gave me growing up. When I was having a bad day she would say, ‘Honey, whatever happens today, don’t forget to smile. Nothing is as bad as it seems.’
The older I’ve gotten the more I’ve learned to face every day in life with a smile. Good days and bad days alike I try to face knowing that for the most part, life tends to work itself out and return to normal after a little while.
Make someone smile today!
Here are 25 ways to brighten your world and the world around you.
1. Hold the door open for someone. And say thank you when someone does it for you. This simple act of kindness unlocks a lot of goodwill, graciousness, true appreciation and good feeling.
2. Say “hello” to a stranger on the Street. Offering a genuine human connection is a precious gift – what more can you do for someone than show you care? Yes, it’s that simple and hey, it’s free! It’d make the world a nicer place.
3. Compliment a friend or work colleague on their appearance. People take genuine pleasure in receiving compliments from others.
4. Be kind to unkind people. They need it the most.
5. Take a friend out to lunch. Or invite her/him to your home for a meal. If you feel like being more adventurous, throw a party for several of your friends and put smiles on a multitude of faces.
6. Let someone know you miss them. Let them know you are thinking of them, remind them how much they mean to you. Pick up the phone and call them or write them a letter. They’ll appreciate it and be touched.
7. Write an encouraging note to others that have encouraged you or that need encouragement. Handwritten notes that are given to encourage, not just for thanking someone for a gift, are rare. That makes handwritten notes even more special. Start a new practice of sitting down and writing an encouraging note on a regular basis. You just might start an epidemic!
8. Give unconditional love and respect you would like in return. Imagine how unstoppable you’ll be when you feel loved- and are loved! Spread the warmth and you’ll float on cloud nine.
9. Give up your seat on the subway/bus/train to the people who really need it if no other seat is available to them.
10. Deliver a meal to someone you know that is sick or having a rough time. We have all been sick and know the last thing you want to do is be out of bed. There are also times when life is tough and it is hard to do all of the daily chores. You can be a tremendous help by providing a meal that can be enjoyed.
11. Share your umbrella on a rainy day. Quickly earn a special place in heart’s people and make sure your day get off to a good start.
12. Bring cookies to work for coworkers. It’s a nice and sweet gesture to add some beauty to their work day.
13. Say “Thank You”. Thank everyone that supports you throughout the day. The list of those that you come in contact with is endless. Remember family and friends, secretaries, co-workers, teachers, Sunday school teachers, pastors, store employees, janitors, gas station attendants, those that deliver your mail and newspaper, and servers at restaurants.
14. Give the gift of learning. Give someone an inspirational book to read. You will feel good doing it, reading the book will change the person, and they will think of you every time they read it.
15. Volunteer time to supporting your local charity. Every minute you dedicate to a charity will cause many smiles. You will put a smile on the face of each leader just for helping without being asked. You will also be putting smiles on the faces of those that are being helped through the organization.
16. Make a surprise telephone call to an old friend. Just to say hi and ask how things are going for them. It will positively impacted his/her entire day.
17. Be a good listener. Often someone who is sad, depressed, angry, or frustrated just needs someone who will listen. Venting and talking through an issue is a huge help.
18. Ask a friend if they need anything while you’re out shopping. They will just appreciate it.
19. Leave a waitress or waiter a big tip.
20. Secretly leave a thank you note for the cleaning staff at work. Never underestimate the power of a kind word.
21. Buy food for a homeless person. Cash is often a bad idea if it’s going to be used for drugs, but buying a sandwich and chips or something like that is a good gesture. Be respectful and friendly.
22. Help a struggling elderly person or mother take their shopping to their car.
23. Send a nice email. Just a quick note telling someone how much you appreciate them, or how proud you are of them, or just saying thank you for something they did.
24. Ask a friend or relative if you can take care of their kid(s) for a day or evening. If you have been a parent, you know the value of being able to have a few hours of “adult time” without worrying about the children. Don’t wait to be asked to baby-sit when it is required. Offer to do it at a time when the parent can do something fun and relaxing.
25. Send someone an unusual and unexpected gift like chocolate, flowers or box of goodies.
Do you have reason to smile today? Can you find positive things to focus on regardless of the hard things that might be happening? I hope so. I truly hope that you are able to learn that whatever happens in life, living with a smile is a great thing. Reveal a genuine smile to everyone you meet.